[pure-silver] Re: D76 1:2 and 1:3 - Bob Y

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 18:55:07 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob Younger" <ryounger@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, August 27, 2011 5:57 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: D76 1:2 and 1:3 - Bob Y

Janet, good question, sorry I didn't explain more. A complete agitation for me would be two agitations each direction (front/back and left/right) if in trays; and four inversions with rotation if I'm using a canister. Either way, an agitation takes 10-12 seconds. And to explain a little further, just to avoid any potential uneveness when developing in trays since I always lift from the front, I will turn the print around in the developer 2-3 times
during development.
Bob

Agitation varies with the type of film and technique. For small tanks (roll film) Kodak usually specified inverting about once a second for five seconds repeated every 30 seconds. Ilford recommends agitating for ten seconds onece a minute. This as some effect on time but is similar because the amount of agitation is similar. I find that the longer interval for longer time seems to give me less effect from surges, etc. Both also show "continuous" agitation times, usually meaning the film is to be see-sawed in a tray. There are also drum times shown for some film and developer combinations. Usually drums provide the most continuous agitation and the least development time for a given contrast index. For sheet film the charts usually show tray, large tank times, and often also drum times. The usual large tank agitation is to remove the stack of film holders from the tank and allow it to drain for a few seconds, replace it and remove it again allowing to drain in the opposite direction. The agiation is repeated once a minute. Some researchers, notably Dr. Richard Henry state tha this is the least uniform of all methods of development but it has been a standard for sheet film for many decades. Tray or continuous agitation is applied to either single sheet agitated continuously like paper prints or to a group of films shuffled in the developer. I suspect that the shuffline technique results in less exposure of the surfaces of the film to the developer and possibly results in less uniform and slightly slower development than for single sheets. Drum development again has continuous motion of the developer over the film surface so has rapid development. The uniformity while it should be theoretically ideal is, in my experience, not so because of the lack of turbulance in most drums. The used developer is run back and forth over the same areas of film which can result in streaking. I agitate sideways occasionally when using print drums on electric rollers for film.