[pure-silver] Re: Contrast paper developer-story

  • From: Steve Nicholls <gl1500@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 11:56:24 +0930

Dave V wrote:
I will tell you a true story. It is embarrassing for me but I include it in my B&W Photography courses because of the learning experience. We had a Thomas Sodium vapor safelight in one of our darkrooms at Kodak for the purpose of testing it with new papers that we designed. One evening I stayed late to make some prints for a workshop I was taking with John Sexton. I wasn't thinking and I was using the Thomas safelight and an Ilford Multigrade additive head enlarger. I was having a terrible time getting the contrast I wanted but did the best I could.

At Sexton's workshop each participant would put up their work and have it judged by the others. Then John would have his say. Well everyone knew I worked for the 'Yellow Box' and pretty much what I did there. Imagine my feelings when John commented on my work by saying, "Dave, we have a problem!" "Oh No!" I thought. "Why me?" "Safelight fog!" he said. And immediately I knew what I had done....and why I couldn't get the contrast I was trying to get with that print.

The embarrassing problem for me was I am the guy who wrote for Kodak....."How Safe is Your Safelight?"

Dave

(I'll Never use a Thomas safelight Again)
Dave,

I love the internet lists :) [the good ones that is] What a wonderful story for an Australia photographer who grew up through the last 4 decades reading as many publications available from Kodak, Agfa and Ilford to hear such an excellent story from a true "authority".

I must test my safelight -- any recommendation for procedure? :)

Steve