[pure-silver] Re: Contrast paper developer- info and story

  • From: "Adrienne Moumin" <photowonder2010@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 13:32:10 -0400

Thanks for this info, Richard, I think I found them at:

Kodak: http://www.kodak.com/global/en/consumer/products/techInfo/k4/k4Contents.shtml

Ilford:  http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/20062111122432403.pdf

Dave, thank you so much for sharing this eye-opening story! So since it seems like it might be a waste of time to test my Thomas, I'm wondering what safelight/s DOES one use to avoid fog *and* be able to see what one is doing?

Thanks,
Adrienne Moumin

***************************************
on the web at:    http://www.picturexhibit.com
Saatchi Gallery:    http://tinyurl.com/hw6r3
Art DC:              http://tinyurl.com/vtjqf
***************************************
From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Contrast paper developer
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 12:17:57 -0700

Both Kodak and Ilford have procedures for testing safelights. Kodak's is called K-4. I can send it to you if you can't find it on their web site. The procedures are not identical but both test for the sensitization effect of the safelight on the paper. This can result in fogging even when a simple exposure to the safelight without also being exposed to the enlarger image can cause fogging.

---

From: "Dave V" <DValvo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Contrast paper developer-story
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 19:37:48 -0400

I will tell you a true story.  It is embarrassing for me but I include it in
my B&W Photography courses because of the learning experience.  We had a
Thomas Sodium vapor safelight in one of our darkrooms at Kodak for the
purpose of testing it with new papers that we designed.  One evening I
stayed late to make some prints for a workshop I was taking with John
Sexton.  I wasn't thinking and I was using the Thomas safelight and an
Ilford Multigrade additive head enlarger.  I was having a terrible time
getting the contrast I wanted but did the best I could.

At Sexton's workshop each participant would put up their work and have it
judged by the others.  Then John would have his say.  Well everyone knew I
worked for the 'Yellow Box' and pretty much what I did there.  Imagine my
feelings when John commented on my work by saying, "Dave, we have a
problem!"  "Oh No!" I thought.  "Why me?"          "Safelight fog!" he said.
And immediately I knew what I had done....and why I couldn't get the
contrast I was trying to get with that print.

The embarrassing problem for me was I am the guy who wrote for
Kodak....."How Safe is Your Safelight?"

Dave

(I'll Never use a Thomas safelight Again)