[pure-silver] Re: Condensor size versus negative size?

  • From: "Edward C. Zimmermann" <edz@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 20:25:05 +0200

Quoting Nick Zentena <zentena@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>       Am I right in assuming condensors  should be bigger then the negative
> diagonal?

Typically a condensor is SIGNIFICANTLY larger than the negative diagonal. A
condensor that is around the size of the negative would hardly colimate light
to cover the negative format. How large must the lens elements be etc. differ
from design to design just as the lens size and elements in an objective design
are hardly the same. We are discussing optical systems and to talk about the
size of a single piece of glass among many pieces of glass and illuminators
does not really make sense. One way of thinking about a condensor is as a
funnel. The top of the funnel is large and the exit is smaller. That's their
reason.

Edward C. Zimmermann, Basis Systeme netzwerk, Munich
Office Leo (R&D):
   Leopoldstrasse 53-55, D-80802 Munich,
   Federal Republic of Germany
http://www.nonmonotonic.net