[pure-silver] Cleaning Shutters

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2020 08:49:34 -0700

   As an experiment I tried cleaning an old Compur shutter on a Speed Graphic using contact cleaner. The stuff I used is Deoxit 5 made by Caig labs. It seems to have worked well but I won't be sure for a few days. I applied it with a small brush. The shutter had been cleaned years ago but was running slow. Its now exactly on speed according to my Calumet shutter tester. Its been a day, enough time for the volatile parts of the cleaner to have evaporated. Electrical tests I've made indicate the stuff does not leave a conductive residue but it may leave some sort of very light lubricant. Don't know. At any rate the stuff is a lot easier to obtain than real clock oil (Nye is the best).
   This is a curious camera and I am researching to find out more about it. It is an "Anniversary" Speed Graphic, one of the first of that series according to the serial number but its different from later ones. The box is shallower, the same size as the previous "side handle" Speed Graphic and has some other differences. The serial number dates it from early 1940 and the lens, which I am pretty sure is original, dates from 1939, about right.  This was my first Speed Graphic, bought many years ago.
   I think I may have used the contact cleaner on a Rolleiflex shutter several years ago and that seems to have kept working. Anyway perhaps of some use to someone.

--
Richard Knoppow
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx