[pure-silver] Re: Censorship

  • From: Laurence Cuffe <cuffe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 20:23:10 -0800

On Thursday, December 06, 2007, at 07:21PM, "Dana H. Myers"
<dana.myers@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Camclicker@xxxxxxx wrote:
>> Sounds like Modesto politics are dictating Modesto morality.
>
>I think it's the other way around :-)
>
>Dana

I think I'm going to write to the gallery and suggest that as they're pulling
real art off the walls I've got some really good paint by numbers work that
they might like to show.

Legally I wonder would it be worth suggesting to them that they have opened
themselves up to the potential of an action for libel, insofar as they have
called the reputation of the two photographers concerned into disrepute.

Another avenue might be to explore the possibility of an action for breach of
contract, insofar as once the pictures had been accepted by the jury and hung
any reasonable person would expect them to remain hung, with the concomitant
possibility of sales resulting from them being hung. Here the claim is for loss
of potential sales.

One could consider that the initial fee had been extracted fraudulently insofar
as if the gallery was never going to be in a position to hang such work,
extraction of a submission fee from prospective exhibitors was clearly
fraudulent. Here the pay back is not the refund of the submission fee which is
clearly the most logical remedy, but the fact that you could get a headline
"Artists threaten to sue gallery for fraud", with the galleries name in lights.

finally there might be something in the charter of the organization running the
gallery that one could work with.

My late night 2c.
Larry Cuffe