[pure-silver] Re: Calling All Chemists

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2021 10:27:51 -0700

   NO not the same thing. 20 Mule Team Borax is suitable where a formula calls for Borax but is not sodium carbonate.
   Washing soda is sodium carbonate but of uncertain moisture content. Kodak calls for anhydrous carbonate, some other formulas call for the monohydrated form. Supposedly the monohydrated is more stable since it will not either absorb or give up moisture but anhydrous is stable enough if kept in a closed container. Slightly more monohydrated is needed to get the same amount of the active soda. I don't remember the ratio off hand but is not hard to find. There is also a crystalline form but I've only seen it called for in very old British formulas.

On 3/14/2021 10:14 AM, Tim Daneliuk (Redacted sender tundra for DMARC) wrote:

When mixing my own chemistry, can regular old Mule Team Borax
be substituted for Sodium Carbonate (Monohydrated)?