[pure-silver] Re: C41 B&W films

  • From: Speedy <speedgraphic@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 14:15:54 +0000

Mike,

The difference that I have seen is that the filters for multigrade papers do
not behave as expected with multigrade papers.    Moveing from one filter grade
to he next coudl have a much greater or lesser effect than anticipated.  IIRC
the exposure times were significantly longer with the C41 films.   The old XP2
did not have the orange mask.  It had a clear base and it was wonderful stuff.
Seems in making it "better" they made it more like the Kodak...

I am just wondering if the light wavelength of the cold light head has a
greater or lesser effect on contrast and filtration with the orange based C41
B&W films.

Speedy
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 06:05:25 -0700
From: fourbyfiveguy@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: C41 B&W  films
To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Could you elaborate a bit on your increased difficulty with printing these
films? I haven't used XP2 in years myself but several students in my darkroom
classes have insisted on using both Ilford and Kodak. The only difference I've
seen is that the C41 films tend to require a higher contrast filter than silver
films.

Mike Healy