[pure-silver] Re: Buyer found for (some of ?) AgfaPhoto's chemicals (was:Buyer found for AGFA Photo)

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 23:25:20 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Badcock" <peter.badcock@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, November 25, 2005 10:36 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Buyer found for (some of ?) AgfaPhoto's chemicals (was:Buyer found for AGFA Photo)

Quoting Mr. Michael Mueller, CEO of a & o group said in a statement: "*The
contract of purchase has been signed. The production of chemicals for all
films and papers that are necessary for the development of photographs will
continue on this site"*.

His statement is ambiguous, since AGFA has film developers other than
Rodinal, and because Rodinal isn't *necessary *to develop all AGFA films,
then one can't conclude that Rodinal is covered in the purchase.

regards
Peter

I interpreted this, perhaps mistakenly, to mean that the new company would continue to make the materials necessary to support the mini-lab machines. It would be grand if they continued the all the favorite B&W and color films and papers and familiar B&W chemistry, but I am not very optimistic about this.
Its interesting to look at the enormous variety of B&W printing materials available in the late 1940's and early 1950's. These included all sorts of specialty materials like Kodak's Translite paper and Gevaert Gevaluxe Velours. The increased use of color ended the production of a great many of these but even twenty years ago many old favorites were still on the market.
Before digital even niche markets were pretty large. Its too bad the economics won't allow the co-existence of the two methods. I like working with "wet" photography. Digital is OK but is not challenging in the same way. Of course, I do photography as a hobby for fun and not as a business. If I were trying to make a living at it digital would make a lot of sense.
Now, a hopeful statistic (source forgotten): The population of horses in the USA is greater now than it was before the automobile when horses were the primary method of short distance transportation and main power for farm and some other machinery. The reason is the popularity of pleasure horses.

---