[pure-silver] Re: Building a print washer

  • From: Mark Blackwell <mblackwell1958@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 13:34:48 -0800 (PST)

A good pump like that would also be as much as many print washers I could buy.
Now to address the durability is another question.  Im not going to just leave
it running 24 hours a day. It will be on a few hours at a time, worst case
senerio several times a week.  I don't get to play in my darkroom every day.  I
also plan on draining after each session.

The other thing is that the pump unlike may in its intended use is likely to be
used at a flow rate that is well under what it is likely capable of doing.
That also will keep the stress on the pump to a minimum.

Fish tank pumps are indeed designed to move water 24hours a day, and so are
pumps for fountains and ponds.  Now will they take the demands??  That remains
to be seen, but as I learned with the sink you can overbuild just as easy as
underbuild.

The acid or possiblity of it should be something I can deal with potentially by
running a solution of water and baking soda through it, then rinsing if the
concentration levels get up.  Its something I wouldn't have thought of had you
not said anything Frank.

Whether I agree or not is really not important.  The discussion is making me
think.  If the only way to make this workis a $200 pump, then the project goes
no further.    There are other ways to go other than that.

Frank Filippone <red735i@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: A good pump, as I suggested,
will cost $100-150.  It will last probably a few dozen years.
A cheap Home Depot sump pump will cost maybe $50 and die in a year ( acid or
not, sump pumps are not made for running 100% of the
time, except for short intervals).......

Jim, it is his choice.  Is it a valid choice?  Yes, is it a prudent choice, you
and I would say not.

Little Giant Pump Company.......
http://www.lgpc.com/MagDrive/ByCategory.aspx?TypeID=4&CategoryID=17
This one looks about right......, depending on flow rates....

Item Number: 589002

Frank Filippone
red735i@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

You know the old saying:

Buy cheap, buy twice!

The problem with something breaking, or wearing
out, is that it ALWAYS happens at the most
inopportune time possible. I have long given-up
on buying cheap, whenever possible.

Jim

At 10:33 AM 3/8/2007 -0800, Frank Filippone wrote:
>Good points...  I agree.  Several cheap pumps
>may cost less than 1 more expensive one.
>
>Frank Filippone
>red735i@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Replacing a cheap pump every few years is
>probably going to happen anyway from mechanical
>or other factors like potentially just wearing out.

Need Mail bonding?