[pure-silver] Re: Brown Toner? PolyToner?

  • From: Eddy Willems <eddy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 01:27:54 +0200

you can find more info on toning in a book from tim rudman

http://www.timrudman.com/content/toning-book-reprint

bet regards

Op 21/09/2021 om 01:06 schreef `Richard Knoppow:

Kodak T-7a is essentially the same as Kodak Brown Toner and is a good substitute for Selenium toner for protecting prints and film. It tones uniformly so slight toning will tone all densities evenly. It is rather slow.
    Kodak published a couple of formulas for combination toner, similar to the old Kodak PolyToner. These are a mixture of Brown Toner and Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner. I found two different formulas which I published to this list. They are quite rapid and do not require heating. Both contain some sodium carbonate and that may be what speeds up the toning. I have not tried adding it to T-7.
   The image color produced by toners has much to do with the color of the original image. Colder original tones tend to produce colder toned images.
   There have been a couple of good books published on toning but I am going by memory at the moment and can't cite them.

On 9/20/2021 3:54 PM, Jeffrey Thorns wrote:
I used to tone prints in Kodak Brown Toner - I liked the color and the longevity.

I was just looking on the Freestyle site and noticed that they don't have any comparable toners.

I looked on The Formulary's site and they have Polysulfide Toner, which sounds more like what I want.

Any other suggestions of brown-colored toners that aid longevity? (I am not a sepia fan)