[pure-silver] Re: Archival problem..

  • From: Howard Efner <hfefner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 20:19:54 -0700

Dennis, do you have any idea what caused the yellow stains? If it is iron stains from the ferric oxalate in the Pt/Pd sensitizer, it may be possible to clear them with either citric acid and EDTA, or a sodium bisulfite and EDTA bath. Wet the film first, soak in the clearing bath for 5 - 10 minutes, wash and dry. The other thing is to use a protective sleeve on the negatives when printing - the clear 2 mil polypropylene resealable bags used for protecting prints (Krystal Seal is one brand).

Howard Efner

On Nov 9, 2011, at 7:11 PM, Dennis P wrote:

I have someone buying a portfolio of platinum prints from some 8x10 negs I shot a processed in the mid 1980s. I had to reprint them all and examining the negs they looked fine. But when I started to print them they printed unevenly and I then noticed that some of the negs are starting to yellow in broad areas. It is hard to see but once I started to look for it, it is definitely there and as the platinum process is done with UV light the yellowing acts as density... which causes areas to be lighter in tone.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do? Is there any way to get the yellow out?... or even make the whole neg the same yellow? These negs are valuable to me and I hate to ruin them with experiments.

I know some people will chime in and say to get the negs scanned and make digital negs but that is not something I will do.

Thanks to any help
Dennis Purdy = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = ==================================================================To unsubscribe from this list, go to www.freelists.org and logon to your account (the same e-mail address and password you set-up when you subscribed,) and unsubscribe from there.