[pure-silver] Re: Ansel on filtration

  • From: Sauerwald Mark <mark_sauerwald@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 10:03:10 -0700 (PDT)

Shannon

If all the world were grey, it would be much simpler
to figure out the filter factors.  The problem is that
your meter is not smart, it wants to always give you a
medium gray colour.  If you are photographing a
subject which is fall foliage against a bright blue
sky, and meter the yellow trees first without, and
then with your yellow filter in front of your meter,
you are likely to see little difference.  At the same
time, if you meter the sky with and then without your
filter, you will see much more difference - which
difference represents your filter factor - how do you
figure your exposure?

What Ansel is saying is that you need to figure out
what you want out of the scene - presumably you are
using the filter to do something in particular -
increase contrast between the trees and the sky - how
do you want each of these to appear on the paper - are
you going for detail in the foliage and want to get
that into the middle of your tonal range? - Do you
want the trees to look white against a black
background of sky?

I tend to ignore the 'filter factors', I use a spot
meter, through the filter material that I am going to
use to get a measurement of that part of the scene
that I am concerned about placing in a particular zone
and go from there.

Mark