[pure-silver] Re: Amidol and oxidization

  • From: "Michael A. Smith and Paula Chamlee" <michaelandpaula@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 14:50:19 -0400

Ah, misconceptions about Amidol still abound. Frankly, I am astonished, since my writing about this has been out there for 13 years now. With my Amidol formula, Amidol will last all day. All day is 8, 10, 12 hours--however long you can print at one time. There is no fall-off in the activity of it until there is almost none left. Usually, I use it until there is not enough left in the tray to cover the prints. It makes no difference if I am using 1 liter, 3 liters, or 4 liters.

I once knew a fellow at RIT who was considered the best printer at the school. He told me that when he used Amidol he first ran about a dozen sheets through it so it would get "sludgy."

So, Bogdan, relax about the life of working Amiidol solution.

We have even left it in an open tray overnight, after an almost all-day printing session--when there was still some left, and used it the next day. When you do this, it will only last for a half-dozen prints at most, and is not quite as active as when new. it is perfect when, for example, a grade 3 paper is slightly too contrasty. Printing it in the next day's Amidol tones the contrast down about 1/4 to 1/3 grade of paper and makes the print perfect. I always print one of my popular photographs using this "technique," if one can call it a technique.

Also, the Amidol I have was put into the bottles in either 1906 or 1908, I forget which. It is very black (obviously "oxidized." If anyone on this list has seen my print, or Paula's prints, it will become immediately obvious that there is nothing wrong with the "oxidized" Amidol.

Michael A. Smith

Hi,

I take it then that it doesn't matter what quantity I use at one time, 1.5L or 3L, 2 hours max.

Bogdan

Eric Nelson wrote:

As I recall, 2 hours max. It basically just stops working. So when you make your first batch, weigh out enough to make a 2nd batch and keep it unmixed and ready to go.