[pure-silver] Re: Agfa multicontrast developer

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 16:51:41 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nick Zentena" <zentena@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2005 9:58 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Agfa multicontrast developer

Stopped into a local shop and they had a 5litre jug. So I'm set for quite a
while. OTOH this big jug had a "US label". At least that's what the label
said. It listed the following:

Gylcol
Hydroquine
Potassium Carbonate.
The usual sequestering stuff and water.

Is it reasonable to assume the gylcol is just to keep it from freezing during
transport? Or could it contribute to the keeping qualities of this developer?
Considering a 1:4 dilution is rated by Agfa to do 100+ 8x10 RC prints just
how concentrated must this be? If it matters I could check which type of
gylcol. It's de something or other.

Nick

The Glycol is a solvent, its commonly used in highly concentrated developers.
MSDS are often incomplete lists of ingredients. Ingredients which are not considered hazardous, or are present only in small amounts, are often left out. Since Hydroquinone is not a satisfactory developing agent by itself there is another in the developer. Probably its Phenidone in some form. Phenidone is an ingredient in T-Max and T-Max RS and HC-110 developers but does not appear in their MSDS ingredient list. Metol, when used, is usually present in too large an amount to escape listing.
I've been using Neutol Plus, which has Ascorbic acid rather than Hydroquinone and probably Phenidone although its not listed.

---