[pure-silver] Re: Advice on first steps to making own fine grain compensating developer

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 00:23:12 -0500 (EST)

I don't quote line by line (because I'm too lazy to find which line to
include right now), but this is in response to Richard's post.

More silver solvent does not necessarily mean finer grained
negative. The permissible amount for fine grain effect varies
depending on the solvent as well as the overall developer activity.
Too much solvent in some developer like Kodak D-8 actually promotes
physical development and results in enlarged grain.  Factors like
bromide level also affect the solvent action of fine grain agents in
the developer.

Some antistain/antisludge agents are capable of enhancing granularity,
accutance or both in fine grain developers. Some worsen them. So I
would not think that those addenda in commercial developers optional
to their specified performance.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."