[pure-silver] Re: ANYONE TRY THIS SILLY IDEA using CLF light bulbs?

  • From: "mail1" <mail1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 09:40:13 -0700

I made an effort to use a daylight CLF bulb. Upon testing the Ilford filter
set that is design for an incandescent bulb I found the CLF bulbs spectrum
was incorrect for correct filter responds. I attempted to correct this with
minus blue color compensation filters. I finally abandoned the project
because the paper grade chart looked terrible, the plots were very uneven.
The CLF was left on in focus mode to keep it warm and turned off just before
placing paper and exposure.

 It was obvious that Ilford VC-4 paper was designed for an incandescent
light source. I have successfully used cold lights designed for photo
graphic paper.

 Most of the VC cold lights I have used required some adjustment in exposure
when changing paper grade settings. The Aristo VC4500 required the least
exposure correction. To reach grades above 3 I needed to reduce the out put
of the green tube with the auxiliary rheostat.

The low intensity of the VC4500 required longer exposures than my 500 watt
Durst incandescent condenser enlarger or Zone VI first generation VC cold
light.

Jonathan Ayers   [mail1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]

  _____