[pure-silver] A developer change

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2019 14:01:51 -0800

The 1938 Kodak chemistry book includes the formula D-61. That looked sort of funny so I looked at a 1950s edition of "Processing and Chemicals" the booklet included in the "Kodak Reference Handbook" and found the formula was now D-61a. So, what is the difference. Turns out that D-61 has 30 grams/liter of sodium sulfite while D-61a has 50 grams/liter. They are also described differently; D-61 is a developer for high speed machine development of roll films and D-61a is a general purpose developer for film. Now, there are two Kodalk developers; DK-50 and DK-60 which vary in the amount of Kodalk. DK-60 is described as a photofinishing developer while DK-50 is a general purpose developer. Of course the difference is in the time it takes them to reach a given contrast. I am not sure what the difference in performance of the two D-61 formulas are but evidently the "a" version was more satisfactory because the original is not reprinted in later references.
Kodak had lots of formulas some of which differed by very little.
--
Richard Knoppow
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx