[pure-silver] Re: 110 cassettes

  • From: "Fyodor M. Tcheredeyev" <ps.fyodor@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 10:46:53 +0200

Well, I want to thank you, David, and all who replied.

For some reason my server hit a hundred plus messages from Pure-Silver, and I only today was able to find them, this is why I am replying with such a delay.

Thank you!

Fyodor.

David Foy wrote:
Fuji no longer makes 110, sad to say. Solaris 110 is still being made by Ferrania, in Italy. Kodak is still hanging in there. It won't be with us long.

AP Plastics in Barcelona lists 110 shells in their catalog, but they expect industrial-quantity purchases (in boxes of 50) and shipping is expensive.

Salvaging the shells and backing paper from outdated (i.e., cheap!) 110 is, as others have suggested, quite feasible. There is a problem, though. Unless your 110 camera has manual exposure settings, it's probably set to "read" the cartridge and set its exposure at either low speed or high speed. "Low" or "high" were never specified and could be just about anything.

If you can be sure you're exposing in the 64 to 80 range, you could consider loading up 16mm microfilm and processing in H&W Control, which is the only developer I know of that lets you get pictorial images at those speeds (http://www.frugalphotographer.com/formulary.htm has the formula -- disclosure: this is my commercial web site).

There are excellent Spur microfilm developers that require considerably more exposure, but as far as I know you can't mix them yourself. I think Ed Zimmerman has a lot of experience with them and perhaps he could advise you. Again, you'd need to be sure your camera can shoot in the EI 25 range.

David Foy