[pskmail] Re: pskmail/tty port to PocketDigi, info needed

  • From: "John Douyere" <vk2eta@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 16:13:05 +0000

Hi Vojtěch,

Thanks for replying and I understand your position. If you could
implement FlARQ in PocketDigi, I have some confidence I could start
from there for an implementation of PskMail as there are solid
similarities between both programs.

For peole "on the move", especially in relative isolation at sea or on
land, it is good to be able to have a base or better, several bases,
which is are 24/7. Hence the appeal of PSKMail in these conditions.

On the memory ARQ side and from my experience in VK,  I really think
that would be a plus. Here we have less crowded bands than in EU or
North America so not much QRM, but we get significant QRN especially
during  the summer months. So anything that would allow the data to be
re-constructed when segments are missing would be a plus, being
longitudinal redundancy or memory ARQ.

Of course the choice of the mode can help here and be complemented at
the protocol level. I have setup my PSKMail server to be able to
change modes on-the-fly within a session so that I am able to see what
modes are more appropriate for these conditions. I will report when I
have had real field tests if you are interested.

Thanks Vojtěch and 73s,

John