[pskmail] To do and wish list for the java client

  • From: Pär Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 18:21:19 +0200

Hi,

Just came back from a weekend in Latvia (Riga). Had no internet during
the stay and I had decided to relax and not do anything. Well, I kept to
that "do nothing" idea for a while but in the end I started to write a
to do list and expanded that into a wish list for future work on
jpskmail. I have discussed this with Rein and he added a few things so
its now a big list of things to do.

Anyway, I am posting this to get your ideas about what is important,
what is not and if you feel stuff has been left out etc. Feedback
welcome :-)

To do and wish list for the client:

* Bugs
- APRS-icon starts wrong, should be shown with image
  (i.e ship, house etc).
- Modem mode setting, better state machine and handling

* GPS and position related
- Position entry in degrees, degrees&minutes and locator selectable
        - Masked edit field to help with format
- Presentation of speed in km/h, knots and mph (more?)
- Graphical course presentation (emulated compass)
- Maybe make it possible to update system clock from gps time
(permission trouble here)

* Miscellaneous
- Emergency mode, client sends emergency messages
        - Client receiving these should react somehow
- Compressed messages, add support like linux client
- Statistics for received info (heard list)
- Tooltips for all fields in the options window
- compressed file upload to server (emcomm)
- TTY (keyboard-to-keyboard) mode

* Code related
- Automated gui regression test procedure,
  perhaps using http://abbot.sourceforge.net/doc/overview.shtml
- Create UML from reverse engineering, use that to clean up
        - Clear out unused classes and methods
- Javadoc, explanations about every method
- serialport and nmeaparser classes better split to enable support for
other hardware
        - Integrate weather station
- Less static declared classes
- Main loop should be removed and replaced by timer events
- Support for other modems, such as hardware based. Not a priority now.
- New email window to be expanded with recipients, bcc etc.
- Received messages, bulletins, to be completely viewable by
doubleclicking to open in own window
- pushmail, mostly a server issue but client needs stuff too
- Support for some kind of messenger, jabber, possible?

* Map, new tab
- Extend tab idea and include a mapping component, for instance using
JXMapViewer with local map data
- Present received geographical data (positions etc) on map tab
- Heading and distance to other stations (ships for instance)
- Present emergency messages and show heading, distance with some
priority
- Right click on presented unit to get info, send message etc.
- Make it possible to send pointers to stuff, like "dangerous rock here"
with an icon
- Send areas, lines, bearings etc.

* Completely wild idea...
- Make it a C3 system
        - Control of more sensors
        - Lots of map functions, predicitions (loads of work here)
- include IMO "On scene commander" support for rescue ops.
- And more stuff I do not dare to even write...;-)