[pskmail] Re: Recipe for generating a bootable USB stick using a ham_puppy live CD

  • From: Thomas DJ4WL <dj4wl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 21:27:10 +0200

Hello Rein,

special Thanks for your visit and prensentation on the conference
of the German Maritime Mobile Servicenetwork INTERMAR.
Your informations were very fascinating and informative.
Your  PSKmail is a  great chance for all Ham s .
We think it will be a great network in near future and it confirms your very nice work.

73 Thomas DJ4WL

Rein Couperus schrieb:
Hi, we are back from our pskmail promotion tour in Germany, which was quite
succesful...

One of the requests was to make a recipe for generating a bootable USB stick with ham_puppy-0.1.2 (pskmail client 0.6) on it.

The new description is on:

http://pskmail.wikispaces.com/Booting+and+restoring+from+USB+stick

The whole procedure takes only a few minutes, and is based on using a new 1 GB
USB stick.
When the stick is finished it will need 65 seconds until you have the pskmail client running, and it will automatically save the data on the same stick. Neat device... This means you can update to higher versions the same way as when using the hard drive (copy the new files over the old ones) while running from the stick...

New is that you have to use a password in the boot process because the USB
stick employs
heavy encryption. This makes sure the stick is only written on once every 10
minutes
(USB sticks have a limited number of write cycles, NEVER use one as a swap
device! )