[pskmail] Python Client Testing and Stream IDs

  • From: William <va3udp@xxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 15:31:39 +0100

Good afternoon all,

As some of you may have noticed on the air I have been working on
a python ARQ implementation this weekend. At this stage it supports
very basic sending and receiving of packets and there is a script
for sending pings and APRS messages. It uses the fldigi XMLRPC
interface and requires the CRC module from

        http://crcmod.sourceforge.net/

The code is available for testing from

        http://irl.styx.org/~va3udp/arq/

It can be run without installing from the distribution directory
by setting PYTHONPATH=`pwd` and then running ./scripts/unproto
Of course it can be installed as well in the normal way by
running "python setup.py install"

The next step is to implement the connected modes but I have
noticed a departure from the ARQ2 spec in the current PSKMail
implementation. Namely the dropping of the stream id which is
mentioned in a comment in arq.pm but then not actually implemented.
So, for example, a connection request which should read something
like,

        00cSRC:1024 DST:25 1 6

actually reads

        00cSRC:1024 DST:25 6

I'm not sure what to do about this since even though a stream
ID could be hardcoded in PSKMail, it would be incompatible with
all existing deployments...

73 de William EA5/VA3UDP
va3udp /@/ rac.ca