[pskmail] Re: Problem sending national characters in e-mails from pskmail 1.5.x

  • From: Pär Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2012 11:24:31 +0100

> Some ideas on mail problem with PSKmail.
>
> Now there is a asymmetry for mail in PSKmail.
> Mail received are true mail messages and you can save it "as is" and use
> in other mail client (Evolution, Thunderbird, Outlook ?).
> Mail sent are in a special format and you need to compose in jpskmail or
> in a mail client and translate (see my FAQ in wiki, for Linux only).
>
> This asymmetry require a mail client in jpskmail, with address book,
> template (still missing), etc.
> If we use a standard format for any mail, sent or received, we can use
> any mail client for compose or read,  for attach save and for template.
> Every mail client in Windows, Linux and (I suppose) in Mac OSX is able
> to define different account for mail.
>
> We can put in jpskmail client a simple SMTP server able to receive
> messages from mail client and put them in Outbox for PSKmail sending.
> Received messages go to Inbox without any separation of attach.
>
> For the question on size increasing using MIME encoding, only small
> messages have a 50% increase. But small messages take small time to send
> in compressed form.
>
> Regards
> Franco Spinelli
> IW2DHW

Hi Franco,

Well, unfortunately there is no asymmetry as its now broken both
ways ;-). You can look at the mbox using another email client but the
MIME headers are mostly removed and for instance that means characters
can be bad and attachments are not working in external email clients.
I agree that it would be nice to transfer the complete message and
adding an smtp server has been discussed. The downside is that most
messages are actually quite small and the size of those will increase
considerably. I'm heading out in the snow now but this is an interesting
subject and we need to discuss this further. A skype session would be
good.