[pskmail] Re: KB2PNM up and running ver 1.9.0 - Thanks Dave

  • From: Pär Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2012 18:39:06 +0200

I was just about to write the very same thing but you beat me to it, great. I completely agree that a symlink is the way to go here. On the other hand I think the script should be changed as fldigi is by default in /usr/bin. Or, the script could remove the absolute path and launch fldigi wherever it is.

But, it's up and running here now :-).

Per, sm0rwo

On 2012-09-09 04:51, Ian Bennett wrote:
I don't like moving/copying executables around for the sake of one
non-standard program, since the package manager or compiler that put it there
loses "control". This makes maintenance impossible.
This is where the symbolic link comes into it's own; one copy of the
executable, referenced from many locations.
This one command will do the trick:

sudo ln -s /usr/bin/fldigi /usr/local/bin/fldigi

The "ln" is the link command, "-s" makes it a symbolic link (can exist across
partitions), "/usr/bin/fldigi" is the source file and "/usr/local/bin/fldigi"
is the new link.
If you run "ls -la /usr/local/bin/fldigi" after you run the above command,
you'll see a link rather than a program.
Now when the package manager updates the original or you compile a new
version, your link references the new version immediately.

Ian
VK1IAN