[pskmail] Re: Feelings about java?

  • From: William <va3udp@xxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 11:33:06 +0100

Hi Per,

I don't want to trigger a religious war with this mail... But Java is
slow on older machines, tends to be memory hungry and is not all that
cross platform. By this last I mean that it is often a pain to get
a good/the right jre running, and often if more than one java program
is needed on a system more than one version of the jre is necessary.
Not a problem for a livecd, but a pain for people who would roll their
own system.

My preference would be Python, which is also good cross platform
(in fact there is even a thing called Jython which compiles Python
to Java bytecode for the adventurous/masochistic). It tends to be
very readable both in source code form and through the command
interpreter (see ipython for tab completion, etc.).

A small vested interest, I already have some code implementing part
of pskmail/ARQ and interaction with FLDigi (though it uses the XMLRPC
interface, it would be drop-in easy to make a class using the TCP/ARQ
interface). I'd be happy to throw it up on google code or the like
so we'd have integrated bugtracking, source code management, etc.

In any case, the more implementations, the better (within reason)
since it will force the protocol to be well defined.

Cheers,
-w

Le 08-11-26 à 10:33, Per Crusefalk a écrit :

Hi all,

I'm having fun writing a new cross platform client. I started out in
fpc/lazarus and quickly realized I would be able to have a client for
both linux and windows that way, some questions remain regarding mac
support (socket implementation in fpc seems questionable there).

Later I started to look at java and writing the client in java would
make it work on any platform capable of running java (thats many).
But, java means a jre is required and thats 13 MB extra on the live cd
etc. Also, what is your current view of java? Are there things you do
not like about it or do you find it slow or...?

73 de Per, sm0rwo

73 de William EA5/VA3UDP
va3udp /@/ rac.ca