[prssr-devel-ml] Re: loading time

  • From: David Andrs <pda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: prssr-devel-ml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 10:44:38 +0100

When I was using MSXML for parsing XML files (OPML and feeds), it took
pRSSreader 10 seconds to start. In 1.2.1, I replaced MSXML with
libexpat and the start time is now 3 seconds.

And there are other reasons to use libexpat:
- I can add any code page I want (this was not possible with MSXML),
this caused lot of 'invalid feed file' errors. MSXML supports only
iso8859-1, utf-8 and cp1250. If it parses file in other encoding, it
was luck
- the today plugin do not hang the device (I believe it was caused by
MSXML, I only replaced reading and parsing the files - other code
remain the same)

Could you replace your current pRSSreader's binary (.exe) with 1.2.0
and measure the startup time? Just for comparation. Maybe WM5 have
faster COM and therefore faster MSXML support...

--
David