[projectaon] Re: Spellchecked 23mh

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 22:29:20 +0000

Jonathan Blake wrote:
On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 2:54 AM, Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

(er) 23mh 120: the limed-oak door -> the limed oak door [ik: I googled for
"limed-oak" to
understand what it is; it seems to be spelled "limed oak" (i.e. without
hyphen) on basically all
found web sites; okay, I only checked Google's first 100 hits]
**I honestly have no idea. Left unchanged for now; escalated.

The situation becomes a little different when the noun phrase "limed
oak" becomes an a modifier. To avoid confusion about what is limed
(the oak or the door (which seems to make little difference in this
case)) it's correct to hyphenate adj-noun compound modifiers. In other
words, the original is correct enough to leave as-is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_compound#Hyphenated_compound_adjectives
OK, Rejected. Thanks!

(ne) 23mh 286: practiced -> practised
Fixed!

That looks quite strange to these American eyes. :)

As "plow" does to mine eyes. ;-)

(er) 23mh 292: Ten milleniums ago -> Ten millenniums ago [ik: or
millennia; in 17tdoi we replaced millenniums with millennia]
[BK][James Murray]
**Personally, I think it sounds better as-is. For one, we have a specific
number (rather than 'countless millennia') and the two A letters next to
each other in 'millennia ago' sounds very unusual in English. Escalated.

I personally prefer "millennia" despite the adjacent vowels. Blame my
college Latin.
OK, let's standardise. Fixed!

I'm a bit unsure about the capitalization of "prince". Mostly, "prince"
seems to be capitalized
only if it is directly followed by the prince's name (Karvas), i.e. if
"Prince" serves as title.
But there are a few occurrences of "Prince" that are not followed by the
prince's name.

**All these should probably be changed, I think. Escalated.

If we're going by our Manual of Style, "Prince" is on the list of
titles that can be capitalized on their own.

OK, so we should up "prince" and "baron" to "Prince" and "Baron" when referring to a specific person, then?

(er) The Story So Far: kingdom of Siyen -> Kingdom of Siyen
Specific named place. Escalated.

I don't know if there is a rule about this. Unless there's a
consistency issue, I vote to leave as-is.
Fixed. cf. Kingdom of Bor in Books 26 and 27.

(er) The Story So Far [x2], 12, 36 [x3], 55, 83, 131 [x4], 135, 162 [x2],
170 [x2], 205, 247 [x3], 270, 293: Baron -> baron
See Prince -> prince above. Escalated.

(ne) 125, 283: Baron -> baron
Fixed!

Baron is also on the list of titles that should be capitalized.
See above!

Thanks for this info, Jon. I'll get to Book 24 a bit later.