[projectaon] Re: Mobipocket images on Kindle

  • From: Chris Neilson <crusty.chris@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 13:15:32 +1300

On Wed, 2012-01-25 at 14:36 -0800, Jonathan Blake wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 2:16 PM, Chris Neilson <crusty.chris@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2012-01-25 at 13:40 -0800, Jonathan Blake wrote:
> >> On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Ingo Kloecker
> >> I turned down the number of scans to 3 and turned up the path
> >> optimization tolerance to 0.6 and got the size down to about 200 KiB.
> >> I updated the mockup cover:
> >>
> >> http://www.projectaon.org/staff/jonathan/01fftd-cover.svgz
> >>
> >> Only after I overwrote the cover did I think maybe I should have kept
> >> the previous one for comparison.
> >>
> > doh!
> >
> >> If anyone has feedback about the cover design, please don't hesitate
> >> to speak up. If you don't, we may just end up using something like
> >> this. ;)
> >>

> > the "lone wolf book 1" is hard over to the left, Im assuming it was
> > supposed to be centered?
>
> How about this I centered the "Lone Wolf Book 1" and added some
> colored strips to break up the whiteness of the page?
>
> http://www.projectaon.org/staff/jonathan/01fftd-cover-v2.svgz
>
> > could we lay it out like the original covers? From memory most were laid
> > out like:
> >
> > lone wolf xxx series (ahhhh by "xxx" i mean magnakai/grandmaster)
>
> We could. I wanted to keep it simpler, but if we think it would be
> worthwhile, I don't have strong objection as long as we include the
> book number.
>
> > title part 1
> > title part 2 (I think the title was sized such that it would always be
> > split over two lines)
>
> I grew up with the American covers that had it in one line, but that
> doesn't mean I have a strong preference.
>
> > author (sometimes author and illustrator)
> > image
> > marketing cruft at the bottom (like "gamebook of the year", we could
> > have "project aon edition" or something)
>
> I think we could leave out the marketing cruft. ;)
>
> > newer books also had a banner behind the title, and older ones had a
> > little wolf head image between lone and wolf. dont know if its possible
> > to do that.
> >
> > It would be kind of cool to mimic the old layouts more closely. The
> > biggest problem is that different editions had different layouts :/ Im
> > not sure if the idea in my head is capable of being generated, or if we
> > could expand the image to fit the whole page and have the text over the
> > image
>
> That might be more difficult to pull of successfully with a black and
> white line drawing.
>
> > In terms of what youve actually got, I quite like it (bar the
> > positioning of "lone wolf book 1"). i assume the border colour would
> > mirror the colour of the headings in the HTML version (eg dark green for
> > book 1, cyan for book 2, blue for book 3 etc)? I like the little project
> > aon logo in the corner, nice touch.
>
> That's what I was figuring we would do with the border color. I'll
> eventually want to do a proper SVG rendering of the PA logo. The
> [...]

going with the theories of "no spoilers" and "old covers" and "something
to do with the title" (sometimes theres just no good choice but theres a
number of good generic monster illustrations)

1: ill7
2: ill5 (or ill21 from 05sots)
3: ill1 or ill5 or ill7 or ill12/13/18
4: ill2? ill6 = spoiler? ill13/18 like old covers?
5: ill23 (ill5 - i dont even remember what this illustration was about)
6: ill16? (i really want to say ill9)
7: ill9? ill16? (ill12 old cover)
8: ill17 or ill20
9: ill10 or ill20 (ill7 or ill15 like the old cover?)
10: ill1? ill20?
11: ill2 = spoiler? ill3? ill11 like the old cover?
12: ill3 (or ill19 like the old cover)
13: ill14? (not exciting but looks like a plague lord or ill9, ill17,
ill18)
14: ill17 (or kaag ill2/20 or generic monster
ill1/5/6/9/11/12/13/14/15/18)
15: ill13 or ill14 or ill15
16: ill20
17: ill5 (maybe ill9 or ill16 - they kinda look like a deathlord)
18: ill5
19: ill5 (ill2 looks badass but isnt wolfsbane)
20: ill12 or ill13 (or ill19 from 19wb)
21: ill5
22: ill7 or ill9 or ill14 or ill20
23: ill1