[projectaon] Re: Lone Wolf on the Android phone

  • From: Filip Hráček <filip.hracek@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: James Durrant <james.durrant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 14:18:28 +0200

Hi James!
Thanks for the reply. Actually, what we have in mind is much more than an
online reader. As I'll explain below, we think that a much better way to
serve gamebooks on a phone is from an offline copy.

The basic idea is using existing technology – *HTML for hypertext,
JavaScript for scripting*. I don't think it would be wise to bring yet
another gamebook technology to the market -- especially since
HTML+JavaScript can do anything that the other systems can and since it's
now supported anywhere.

The *distinguishing factors from playing a gamebook online* are:

   - Speed - files are served locally from the device, no annoying
   connection round trips
   - No internet connection needed - you can play the gamebook in the
   underground or on a plane
   - Packaging - finding & downloading a new gamebook will be super easy
   - API - the writer will be able to store data (like inventory, events,
   experience points etc.) in the App, they will be able to trigger events and
   such
   - plus saving, quick access, tools etc ... the possibilities are endless

Project Aon's HTML files *will have to be modified so that*:

   - the app takes care of the inventory and Kai disciplines for the player
   - the app tracks Endurance and Gold Coins
   - the app takes care of the fighting and chance

The reason for this is that people don't want to use paper while they use
their phones. They want it integrated. We would take care of the
modifications. And of course, you'd be in control of the final look & feel,
including copyright notices and all.

The whole gamebook will then be *zipped into one downloadable package*. The
package could be then password protected if you'd like to prevent others
from modifying it or reading it outside the app.

*The app will be completely free.* We thought that maybe in the future the
authors could make money from the books (advertising, paid gamebooks?), but
that's a long way ahead. Right now, there's no business model at all.
Naturally, we can guarantee in writing that no profit will be made from Joe
Dever's work unless we have your written permission.

No other gamebook means so much to me as the Lone Wolf series. I'm pretty
sure this is the case for thousands of others. That's why I'd love to see it
available in the mobile app we're developing.

Thanks again for your email and let me know what you think.

All the best,
Filip Hracek