[projectaon] Re: Grand Master comment period

  • From: Timothy Pederick <pederick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 00:11:35 +0800

On 14 April 2012 23:45, Paulius Stepanas <pstepanas@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> When typeset for printing (or Web rendering), the closing single
> quote character is often used in place of the (straight) apostrophe
> character, and it does look better, I think.
>
> However, in unformatted text (such as XML or a .TXT file), the
> straight apostrophe should really be used. Angled quotes (both
> single and double) in text files tend to be confusing rather
> than useful.

The Unicode standard recommends the curved character (U+2019 RIGHT SINGLE
QUOTATION MARK) as "the preferred character to use for apostrophe" in all
cases, and this is the usage that we have followed. (Personally, I prefer
it this way even in plain text, but that's a matter of taste and custom.)

Actually, in our XML files, we represent the apostrophe with an element,
which is replaced with the chosen character when the XML is transformed
into (say) the HTML editions.

> Note that Microsoft Word incorrectly replaces an apostrophe with
> a left-curved single quote in words such as: 'cause -- it should
> always be the right-curved version. (The easiest way to work
> around this is to type two apostrophes and delete the first one.)

Yeah, I hate that. :-) Fortunately our XML-based production methods avoid
this issue entirely.

--
Tim Pederick