[projectaon] Re: Dawn of the Jewelled Mace

  • From: Jonathan Blake <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 10:08:46 -0700

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 11:39 AM, John TFS <johntfs@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The wording for the Psychic Ring is very similar to that of this passage
> from The Dark Crusade:
>
> http://www.projectaon.org/en/xhtml-simple/lw/15tdc.htm#sect297
>
> The Strength spell in question affects Lone Wolf.  It makes him temporarily
> stronger and thus better able to deal and resist damage.  Does that mean
> that Strength's bonuses will only work against Mawtaws?  Because it seems to
> me that being really strong would be helpful in pretty much any close
> combat.

Yeah the Strength spell bothers me, too. It seems like it should be
much more used much more often than it is. I would prefer that it came
with a standard bonus, but no such bonus is mentioned in the Improved
Disciplines section. My assumption has always been that Joe wanted to
keep control for himself of when it could be used.

This isn't unusual. There are lots of places in the books where I
think a particular Discipline would be helpful, but Joe doesn't
provide the opportunity to use it.

We're left in pretty much the same situation as with the Psychic Ring:
they seem in theory like they should be much more useful than they are
in practice (and maybe we use them in our own gameplay more often than
Joe intended - I certainly do), but publishing quasi-authorized
editions of the books, we have nothing authoritative to say. At least
I can't see any evidence that we can present to the reader.