[projectaon] Re: 21tvom

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 12:53:12 +0000

McSwain LeRoy wrote:
fellow kai lords,

> The Mongoose editions clearly state that you can only use one Weapon at a time, but you can carry > two (and any weapon-like Special Items). It's a rules-fudge by Joe to stop the Sommerswerd being > lost. It wasn't until I volunteered for Project Aon that I learned there was a difference! 'Four > corners of' is obviously idiomatic, just like the phrase 'the seven seas'. What, you can only name
 > seven?!

i'll still be tempted to use two, particularly against zakhan kimah.  :-)

In the Mongoose editions they've dropped his stats if you fight him with the Sommerswerd, or so it says on the forums. Maybe we could follow that precedent? ;-)

> I've had a quick look at these three orphaned sections, and I'm at a loss as to how to bring any of > them back in to the game. They're not as straightforward as the ones for Book 20.

163 is almost parallel to 341, the difference being that, in ref163, you lose 8ep and, in ref341, you lose only 4ep. the player arrives at ref341 from refs141, and 107 ( where he casts levitation), and 115 (where he merely jumps). currently,he loses 4 ep for both. maybe, we could point 115 to 163 instead of 341.

196 is parallel to 32 and is furthermore a verbatim copy of 32.
while not a verbatim copy, 256 is parallel to 111 and the only two differences are in wording that do not affect the meaning of the passage. as 32 and 111 stem from a random number choice in ref 337, the only way i see to bring the two orphans back in would be to rewrite the random number choices from 2 to 4 possibilities. little practical benefit would accrue from this, but it might heighten the drama of that juncture to see four choices as opposed to two.

or we can footnote the sections as orphaned sections. i seem to remember that we did that in the past.

Where possible we like to bring them back into the game, so that's the preferable solution. The rewriting of the RNT options seems the best and only solution for bringing 196 and 256 back into the game. After looking at the flowchart, I agree that 115 -> 163 is probably the best solution for that one. I'll add this information to the Errata Pages for when we look at the potential solutions in a few days/weeks. Cheers! :-)