[project1dev] first person game - tribute to doom... ? [Wurmz!!]

  • From: Alan Wolfe <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 12:36:17 -0700

Hey Guys :P

So i had a weird thought...

* in doom 1 and 2, alot of the objects in the world were all 2d sprites
billboarded towards the player (enemies, barrels etc).
* In our game, making 3d models of all the characters may be REALLY time
consuming because 3d art takes a long time to make (we have 3 models in our
game so far after 2 months with 3 artists)

So... i was thinking, what if we did it like doom and had 2d sprites for a
lot of our in world objects?  Mostly our enemies are what i'm thinking
about.

This would put a lot of workload onto our 2d art (ie WURMZ!) for instance
let's look at one enemy from doom - the first enemy from doom, the brown
guys.

Those guys could...
* walk (let's say 3 frames of animation)
* shoot fireballs (3 more anim frames)
* scratch you (3 more anim frames)
* die (3 more anim frames)
* be dead on the ground (1 anim frame)
* be damaged (1 anim frame?)

so that's a total of 14 frames of animation.

However, that was only looking ONE direction!

the enemies in doom could be viewed from the 8 main directions i believe so
we are looking at more like 112 frames of animation for a single character!

The good news is that most of the frames of animations for the same looking
direction would be the same with just a couple small changes (like position
of the arm may be the only thing that changes)

What do you guys think - is there merit to going this way?

And also - Wurmz what do you think about going with this method?  Youd
basically be the one makin the art hehe.  We would keep the number of
enemies in the game to a minimal amount like doom had if you wanted to go
this route.  IE maybe 10 enemy types total in the game :P