wxWidgets and dependencies.

  • From: "Jaffar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jaffar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 11:05:28 +0800

Hi All.  I have done extensive research on wxWidgets and dependencies and have
found the following.
1.  wxWidgets, like most other cross platform toolkits are reliant on
dependencies.  In the case of wxWidgets, it depends on it's own native
statically or dynamically built libraries which must be distributed with your
apps.  This situation is not vastly different from MFC whose apps rely on the
mfc dlls for them to function.
2.  To avoid dll hell, i have been advised to statically link my wxWidgets
built apps with static libs.  Though these apps are inevitably bigger in size,
they do avoid complications associated with versioning and such.
3.  though you could build your apps with tools such as bakefiles and such, the
process can become quite complicated when dealing with big projects.  I am
still learning to build apps with bakefiles and makefiles, and until i am able
to grasp the concepts and processes involved, i will not be able to come out
with a tutorial on the subject because the learning curve for this can be quite
daunting.  Cheers!