RE: teaching a old dog new tricks

  • From: "DaShiell, Jude T. CIV NAVAIR 1490, 1, 26" <jude.dashiell@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 11:10:37 -0400

Okay, can Oracle run command line on Unix platforms or was that
interface scrapped?  Also, have you got a copy of Oracle for Unix you
can now use on one of those desktop machines?  Finally, what are the
technical specs on those desktops?  A high end Pentium or better is
essential given you're interested in doing stuff with data base
applications.  You'll need at least a gig of ram to install Oracle too.
If you don't mind going with competitors like mysql or postgresql,
memory requirements will be smaller.  I can suggest www dot grml dot org
and download the latest iso and burn to CD for you to get started.
After the iso is burnt, get a directory of the CD and if it has lots of
files on it you burnt it correctly.  Next boot the machine and when the
CD stops spinning type grml swspeak and hit enter.  If you have a
working sound card you'll hear it start to speak so follow instructions.
What you downloaded is a talking version of Linux on a CD and you can
try it out before installing.  To actually install, run the install2hd
script.  That should get you started in a command line environment.
It's possible grml can be made to come up in X but I haven't managed to
make that happen yet so anyone else who has grml running under X may be
able to help out there.  The grml flavor of Linux is an accessible
security hardened version of Debian the C-64 of Linux distros.  What I
mean by that is the computer that had the most software written for it
is the C-64 and Debian has the largest number of available packages for
it too.  You might also consider subscribing to the grml mailing list
too.

Rot47: <;F56]52D9:6==@?2GJ]>:=>