RE: rotated screen?

  • From: Dónal Fitzpatrick <dfitzpat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 00:56:41 +0100

Hi Laura:

I had the same experience using jaws.  I found an article which helped me to
solve it.  Now please forgive me but I'm working from memory here.  The
actual content is on my desktop machine, and as I'm attending a workshop in
another country, I'm nowhere near it.  The following instructions are given
in terms of jaws and, where possible, an alternative if you have sighted
help.

1.  go to the windows desktop;
2.  press home (on xp this should take you to "my documents" or whatever is
the first icon on your screen;
3. change to the jaws cursor;
4.  move the cursor using the right-arrow key to the point just beyond the
"s" in the "my documents" icon.  You should hear the word "blank" spoken.
Now, press the right-arrow key once more.
5.  at this point, you can try using the right button on the mouse and you
should get a context menu containing items such as "arrange icons by".  In
other words, something not related to a highlighted icon.  If you are still
highlighting the icon, then you will get a context menu giving such items as
"open" etc.  In this eventuality, start again.
6.  If you go down this context menu, you will find a submenu entitled
"graphics options".  Expand this, and you'll see a further submenu called
"rotation options".  You can readjust the screen inside there.

Alternative (for use with sighted assistance):
1.  go to the desktop;
2.  right-click on  a blank space on the desktop;
3.  the context menu detailed above should appear.  In this eventuality,
carry out the procedure outlined in "6" above.

Again, my apologies for the lack of clarity in these instructions, but hope
they help.

Dónal