RE: [program-l] Seeking c++ programmer to compile Windows binary of free Tesseract OCR

  • From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 10:25:03 -0500 (EST)

At this point, I think the 3.0 pre-release would be preferable since it includes other OCR enhancements. Certainly, however, if you cannot get that working but can get the earlier stable release working, that

would be valuable progress.

Thanks for your interest
Jamal

Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 19:36:48 +0530
From: Manish Agrawal <manish10@xxxxxxxxx>
To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [program-l] Seeking c++ programmer to compile Windows binary of
    free Tesseract OCR

I can give it a try. I worked with c++ some years ago and am not sure if
I'll be able to deliver the goods.
There appear to be two different versions, 2.0.4 (which appears to be the
stable version) and 3.0.0 (current/prerelease). Which one do you want built
with the libtif included?

-Manish
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 10:52:55 -0500
From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
To: program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I think Google Tesseract is generally considered to be the best, free
OCR engine at this time.  It is available in cross-platform C++ source
code.  A Windows binary is available, but as far as I can tell, it does
not incorporate a free TIF library that would support more common .tif
formats than the default, uncompressed, minimalist TIF format that the
available binary is limited to.

However, a Microsoft Visual c++ 2008 project file is also available for
compiling Tesseract to Windows binary form, and supposedly, the TIF
library can be incorporated in such a solution.  I do not know C++, so
am hoping that another programmer can build this for us.

A starting page for Tesseract is the following:

ReadMe - tesseract-ocr - Important information all Tesseract users need
to know. - Project Hosting on Google Code

http://code.google.com/p/tesseract-ocr/wiki/ReadMe

** program-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
** and in the Subject line type
** unsubscribe