Re: preventing c++ and stl code bloat?

  • From: Dave <davidct1209@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 23:19:21 -0800

Hey Ty,

Why are you worried about increasing compiled binary size?  Templated
types are only generated if you use them (i.e. a vector of players,
rooms, etc).  If you hand-roll a version of vector's to handle each
datatype (i.e. a vector_player, vector_room type) you get the same
exact compiled binary size plus untested code.  I think this is the
argument you saw elsewhere?

If you're worried about debugging load times (which I've seen as a
problem moreso), you can look at splitting your project into multiple
dll's, so you only load dll's as you use them at runtime (i.e. with
LoadLibrary()).