Re: ot: learning foreign languages

  • From: Chris Hofstader <cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 11:08:50 -0400

Audible.com has some good audio only language courses. These are not intended to replace "real" language instruction but do give you a surprisingly lot of words and phrases (without traditional memorization). I used their Hindi course and a combination of the audio file followed by spending a fair amount of time in India has brought me to a point of moderate conversational Hindi and I use it to talk to street vendors and others who do not speak English. I know nothing about writing the language But I can get help when I need it in places where my friend (female) cannot bring me.

cdh
On May 9, 2009, at 7:06 PM, Tyler Littlefield wrote:

Hello all,
I have a quick question; I want to learn vietnamese, an am having a hard time finding anything that doesn't require a credit card number. I'm looking for auditory, but it'd be really cool to get jaws to read the letters too, so I could learn how to read and write it. Any ideas on where I can get some audio stuff on this would be awesome.

Thanks,
Tyler Littlefield
Web: tysdomain.com
email: tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
My programs don't have bugs, they're called randomly added features.