Re: need input on faq

  • From: "Octavian Rasnita" <orasnita@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 15:07:19 +0300

Hi,

If it helps you:

1.  how did you learn programming.
a. on your own?
b. at computer school?
c, in a classroom setting with a sighted teacher and sighted co-students?

answer: on my own

2.  How did you take your exams?
a. using braille?
b.  using the computer with the aid of a screen reader?
c.  have the examiner read the questions to you and you verbally relaying the
answers?

answer: not applicable; In school I was sighted.

3.  did you find a job after you passed your exams, and in what setting did you
work in?
a. from home, freelance and alone?
b.  with a sighted boss and with sighted colleagues in a formal office setting?

answer: After I became blind, I started to work as a freelancer.

4.  how would you describe your relationship with your boss and colleagues?
a.  they regarded your ability to use and work on the computer with incredulity
and disbelief at first?
b.  they were friendly and went out of their way to be helpful from the first?
c. they left you very much to your own devices?
d. they didn't know how to relate to you and hence didn't know how to take you
as part of the team?

answer: They were friendly.

5. How did you overcome any obstacle which prevented you from working with
everyone in your office as a team?
a.  You were patient and tried to explain that your condition was not, or
presented very little obstacle to your success?
b.  your were quietly aggressive and refused any covert help to prove your
independence and ability?
c.  You continually argued your case?
d. did any of the step you take above help you in the long run?

answer: None of these. If the colleagues need a program, I can usually do it,
but if they need a much simpler explanation I can give them, I can't do
anything to help them, because most of them need to show them on the screen
with my fingers, because they don't understand otherwise what I'm talking
about. They also can't explain with words what they want to do, and it is much
simpler to tell "like this", "like that", because they don't know what's a
slider, a combo box, a scroll bar...

6.  can you, with confidence, consider yourself a success story?

answer: Since I was born! :-)

Octavian