mental hex/decimal conversion?

  • From: Alex Hall <mehgcap@xxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 10:47:13 -0400

Hi all,
I know it does not often come up, but I am wondering if there is a quick, easy way to convert hex to decimal? For example, the way you can take 0x12 and know it is 00010010 in binary by converting each digit to a 4-bit binary number. Sure you could do the binary conversion, look at it, and get 18 (10010), but is there an easy way to get right to decimal from hex like you can get to binary from hex? I would rather not go the route of 2*16^0+1*16^1 and so on.

Have a great day,
Alex