re: accessible bios thoughts

  • From: "DaShiell, Jude T. CIV NAVAIR 1490, 1, 26" <jude.dashiell@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 10:57:57 -0400

Okay, it's possible with computers that have usb ports on them to attach
a video monitor and output then goes over that usb port.  I have a
machine I run Linux on at home that was made in 1996 that uses a usb
monitor with no trouble at all these days.  Another possibility not yet
mentioned might be a wheasel card.  These cards catch everything that
goes over video and then allow you to redirect it to hardware ports on
that card.  A hardware speech synthesizer attached to one of those ports
either serial or parallel and by now maybe usb shouldn't have any
problem with cmos/bios at all.  The cards are expensive though.  I don't
know if Dell computers will honor values changed in those xml files.
That would be worth investigating though.  I know someone I can ask and
probably have an answer for you on April 21, 2011 since he builds and
repairs dell machines regularly he has higher level access to hardware
and software specs than others might.  I found the dell website circular
in that you could go to a link you were told and keep on clicking and
end up back where you started in a very short while.