RE: a way around make clean;make?

  • From: "Ken Perry" <whistler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 22:20:06 -0400

Ok what you are looking for is making depends for each file.  You can do
this the hard way and that is each time you add a file you add all the files
that it depends on.  That or you can run gcc and make it create the depends
for you.  I could write a long mail on how to do this but it might be better
to read the Makefile manual for this now that you have a little experience
with make files.  Note these depends are one reason I go with jamfiles when
I can because you never have to worry about them with them but that is
another bear in the woods.  Ok here is the web page for the make file
manual:

http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html

Two other things to search for on Google would be makedepends  which is a
command to auto create depends or if you look through Gcc's options you will
find an option to create depends I can't remember if it is mm or Mm or what
but if you search the man pages you can find them.  I still suggest though
if you have made a few simple Makefile read the Make manual and see what you
know and don't.

Ken