Re: SQL and Microsoft SQL express

  • From: "Richard Thomas" <rthomas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 02:04:25 -0400

Hi Jamie:
Sorry for the reply delay but I've been really tied up lately.  Anyway, If Sql
Server is running you can use either Vb.net, the Admin Program you downloaded
or any other .net language, VWD, C# etc. . .
to create a DataBase.
You will create a DataBase, Then Create one or more Tables in the DataBase to
hold your Data.  Each Table is comprised of Columns that hold individual pieces
of information.
So:
DataBase Name might be:  MyLoginStuff
MyLoginStuff might have 2 tables.
Create a Table, LoginDetails:
Column 1 name might be UserId, Column type VarChar(10):
  Column 2 might be UserName, type VarChar(25)
  Column 3 might be UserIncome, type Decimal( 15, 2)
  Table 2 might be: UserHobbies:
  Column 1 . . .
  To Create the DataBase you would go into an application like the Admin
program and use what is called t-sql, Transactional Sql.
  Statements to build the DataBase.
  You would need to do the following statements:
  Create DataBase  MyLoginStuff . . .
  Then:
  Create Table UserDetails:
  and define each column for that table by picking the types of columns,
integer, varchar decimal etc from a drop down list or program them if you use a
script to do the create DataBase, Tables work.
  This is all massively   generalized but I don't know where you are
technically with DataBase design and implementation.
  In any case you will need to know t-sql, just a subset of regular SQL
statement formats that Microsoft uses to manipulate databases.
  Do you want to build your first database by hand using the Admin tool or
something like Vb.net or do you want to write  scripts to build the DataBase?
  If you are new you might google some Introduction, Basics, Tutorial, Sql
Server, t-sql and the name of the Admin program you downloaded.  I forget the
actual name of the tool. but it might be Sql Server Management Express.  You
should be able to find a Walkthrough or Tutorial for beginners using your
preferred technique.  Check it out and let me know what you find and which
method you choose to build your first DataBase so I can do a little checking on
that technique too.  That way I might find something that might help me  give
you some specific examples.
  Rick Farmington Mich. USA