Re: OO Specs

  • From: "black ares" <matematicianu2003@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 08:42:51 +0300

let me stress some point on your affirmation.
It is true that doing real projects gain you the experience necesary to grow in this domain.
But, reading different materials on the subject is also important, because
you can find there technics that you may be not are aware of, or you didn't discover them by simply working. There are a lot of software developer out there that develop better or less software working on their own knowledge, but a few of them go the right way because they knew the ood principles, knew some pragmatic principles and aplied best technology ant methodology for their project. For example, for business logic in a project there are out there five or more patterns to work with, each of them having its own advantages and disatvantages.
For example I know
transaction script process
table module
Active Record
Domain model.
I gained awareness of some of them simply reading, because beeing onest I simply found two of them in the real world project of mine, domain model and active record. But the other two are not less important, because, thei offer speed in developing if the project permits it. In conclusion, is a fact that all of us can write classes, properties and methods, but its matter how do you write them. Other way, there are a great colection of antipaterns out there, which, first viewed make use of all oop principles, encapsulation, inheritance and polymorphism.

On the other hand, working with out lecture in etail on the subject, may arise to another strange situation. For example I worked a lot of years, creating architectures, creating software, doing things because the comon sense dicted me that that way is better to do things and not the other.
Now I decided to read some books on the subject to see what is new.
Surprise a lot of concepts discovered there in the books I have already known them by my own discovering, but I didn't know their standardised name and therminology. For example I used domain driven principles even earlier than 2003 when it was standardised, but I didn't feel that it was so great, it was simply a thing which have done my things work. After the standardisation, I was in some interviews where I was asked if I know domain driven design. Not knowing that that is the name of what I've used, I sincerely said no, loosing the interview. Now, In 2010 I decided to see what the hell is that domain driven design and realised what stupid I was.
Don't take it personaly, I simply presented some of my experiences.
Best regards
Black Ares
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jamal Mazrui" <empower@xxxxxxxxx>