MinGW reaks havoc on system

  • From: "qubit" <lauraeaves@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bprogramming" <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 22:42:46 -0600

Greetings all --
I have MinGW running on XP and also Windows7, so I can build some software
for those systems.

To make a long story short, I am finding out the hard way that leaving MinGW
running for a long period is dangerous, at least on xp.  I was working on it
last night and left it on. This morning I ignored the MinGW window and did
some things.  Eventually I discovered my MinGW windows was frozen, and I
tried all kinds of keystrokes to get it moving again, but nothing worked.
So I called up the task manager and tried killing MinGW.  It remained
frozen.  I closed all my other windows and decided the only way I would free
up my machine, which is sluggish, was to reboot. I tried restarting and
waited a ridiculous amount of time, after which I heard it ask for my
password. So I typed it, but then it was silent again, until I started
punching keys and it asked me to log off windows.  I pressed the logoff
button and then got the startup screen, and logged in almost without
incident.  After it played the windows login sound, I was presented with
requests for my email identity password. I cancelled. A bunch of other
strange phenomena I don't remember clearly also occurred.

Anyway, the problem is, why did windows ask me for my email identity login
when I had not run OE either explicitly or in a script?
Also, how do you unfreeze the MinGW screen without resorting to killing it?
(because killing it obviously puts the machine in a weird state).

If you got this far, you're more patient than i m...*smile*
Happy hacking.
--le