Re: JavaScript Statement Question

  • From: "Richard Thomas" <rthomas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 12:25:23 -0400

Hi Jim:
Here is the actual article I'm evaluating.  I get everything except that bloody
{0}
It's not very long  and you can just blast to where I labeled RtHere if you
want to see it used in context.
Here is the original article:
 devised the followingsolution.
First, the TreeView knows which node is selected because
SelectedNode
 is a property of the TreeView control. This information has to be stored
somewhere,
nd what is selected ultimately is rendered as HTML. If I know the ID of the
selected
HTML control, then I should be able to scroll and focus it. Sure enough, if you
look
at the source HTML of a page with a TreeView on it, you will find the
declaration
of a hidden <INPUT> tag-think text box-whose ID is approximately
RtHere, this is what the GetElementId will point to to get the value.
TreeViewx_SelectedNode:
<input type="hidden" name="TreeView1_SelectedNode" id="TreeView1_SelectedNode"
value="TreeView1t54" />
With this knowledge, the idea is that a hidden input control is basically a
textbox
and all you need to do is figure out what the contents are. A TreeView is
rendered
as an HTML table-that's all ASP.NET controls are, little HTML code
generators-and
the value field is the client identifier of a table cell, a <TD> tag
representing
the node. So find the ID of the cell tag, scroll it into view, and you are done.
[Note to ASP.NET team: This should be a property of the TreeView. Thank you.]
To demonstrate, I wrote some code to generate a really full TreeView. The
Page_Load
 event injects some JavaScript to find and focus the table cell (see Listing 1)
and
the <body> tag's
onload event calls this injected function.
Listing 1: The Code Behind That Fills a Treeview and Injects the JavaScript
Imports System.Collections.Generic
Partial Class _Default
Inherits System.Web.UI.Page
Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, _
ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load
InjectLoadEvent()
If (IsPostBack) Then Return
TreeView1.Nodes.Clear()
Dim chicken As New TreeNode("Chicken")
TreeView1.Nodes.Add(chicken)
Dim beef As New TreeNode("Beef")
TreeView1.Nodes.Add(beef)
RtHere, I removed the rest of the demo nodes.
TreeView1.CollapseAll()
End Sub
Public Sub InjectLoadEvent()
Dim script As String = _
"function LoadEvent()" + _
{" + _
" try" + _
" {{" + _
RtHere: here is the actual statement.
The rendered Html is below.
"   var elem = document.getElementById('{0}_SelectedNode');" + _"   if(elem !=
null )" + _
"   {{" + _
"     var node = document.getElementById(elem.value);" + _
"     if(node != null)" + _
"     {{" + _
"       node.scrollIntoView(true);" + _
"       {1}.scrollLeft = 0;" + _
"     }}" + _
"   }}" + _
" }}" + _
" catch(oException)" + _
" {{}}" + _
"}}"
Page.ClientScript.RegisterClientScriptBlock(Me.GetType(), "LoadEvent", _
String.Format(script, TreeView1.ClientID, Panel1.ClientID), True)
End Sub
End Class
Listing 2 shows the complete page.
Listing 2: The ASP Code That Defines the Appearance of this Relatively Simple
Page
<%@ Page Language="VB" AutoEventWireup="false" CodeFile="Default.aspx.vb"
Inherits="_Default"
%>
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd";>
<head runat="server">
<title>Focus Tree Node on Postback</title>
</head>
<form id="form1" runat="server">
<asp:Panel ID="Panel1" runat="server" Height="200px" Width="200px"
ScrollBars="Both">
<asp:TreeView ID="TreeView1" runat="server">
<SelectedNodeStyle BackColor="#8080FF" />
</asp:TreeView>
</asp:Panel>
</form>
Figure 1 presents an example of what the simple page looks like.
Click here for a larger image.
Figure 1: A TreeView Nested in a Scrollable Panel Control (in IE7)
Finally, Listing 3 shows the resultant JavaScript, which is the interesting
part.
RtHere:, the rendered version.
Listing 3: The Injected JavaScript
<script>
function LoadEvent()
{
try
{
var elem = document.getElementById('TreeView1_SelectedNode');
if(elem != null )
{
var node = document.getElementById(elem.value);
if(node != null)
{
node.scrollIntoView(true);
Panel1.scrollLeft = 0;
}
}
}
catch(oException)
{}
}// -->
</script>
The JavaScript function
LoadEvent
 finds the hidden input field. I injected all of the code expect the
ClientID
 of the TreeView, which in this case is TreeView1 but in deeply nested pages can
have an ungodly long name. When I get that control, I use its value property to
find
the table cell, and with that control I invoke
scrollIntoView. The scrollLeft
f property keeps the Panel scrolled to the left. And it works!