Re: Java Help:

  • From: Jared Wright <wright.jaredm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 21:48:40 -0500

Charles Black wrote:

"Does anyone know where I can obtain Java 1.4.2 SDK, the JRE, and any other thing I will need
to start exploring refamiliarizing myself with the Java language.

All you'll need can be found on the official home of Java on the web, java.sun.com I think it's up past 1.6 now, and if you get the JDK that will have the runtime environment bundled with it.

"If the Java bridge is still used, where might I obtain that?"
If you're developing your own applications, you can use SWT components instead of Swing components for your UI. See http://www.eclipse.org/swt/ . These controls should be accessible to screen readers. Additionally, if you're a Window Eyes user, there's some Java support in development presently using its new scripting facility for accessing UI's built with Swing components. The Java Access Bridge to my knowledge also works, at least to the extent it's ever worked, but these are the two options I use for developing and using Java applications.

Best,
Jared