Re: Java And Windows Executable Question

  • From: "Jay Macarty" <jay.macarty2009@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 18:08:53 -0500

Jim,
Yes, Eclipse is written in java and does require a java runtime. What makes
Eclipse more accessible than some other java vbased applications is that the
core IDE is written using a GUI package called SWT instead of using java's own
swing component. The swt GUI package uses the native components of a given
platform. For example, in swt a button on a Windows machine is a regular
Windows button. Swing basically paints something that looks like a vutton and
provides properties and events to handle the actions. If everyone would switch
their apps over to swt, we'd probably have a much easier time with java
software access. However, a lot of the existing software simply uses the swing
GUI since it comes as part of the core java package. From a java perspective,
you certainly don't have to distribute the source in order for others to
execute your code. In fact, one of the early catch phrases of java was write
once, run anywhere.